Happy National Chocolate Cake Day!! I figured it was only fitting to post my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe. Yes, I know I have posted this before but it is too yummy not to post again!! If you don’t feel like making cupcakes then make it into a cake. The recipe is posted down below. I decorated them with some Valentine’s sprinkles for a little something extra!!
1 1/4 cups flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with twelve liners.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt on a sheet of wax paper.
3. Place butter and sugar in the bowl of the stand mixer. Beat at medium speed until fluffy. Add sugar; beat on medium speed until well incorporated.
4. Add eggs one at a time and mix after each addition.
5. Combine the vanilla extract and milk in a large measuring cup.
6. Reduce speed to low and add 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by 1/3 of the milk mixture. Repeat until fully incorporated.
7. Add the cocoa powder; beating at low speed until incorporated.
8. Fill cupcake pan using an ice cream scoop.
9. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Wilton Chocolate Buttercream Recipe
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3-4 tablespoons milk
1. Combine all ingredients in the bowl of the stand mixer and beat for 3-5 minutes.
2. Place in a piping bag and frost!
Credit to Georgetown Cupcake for the recipe and Wilton for the frosting Recipe